A new poll by a leading voucher codes website has revealed that the average woman, over the course of her lifetime will spend over £30,000 on purchases her partner knows absolutely nothing about. The research, which questioned 2000 women in the UK found that the average woman spends £8.54 on secret purchases which over the fill course of an adult life comes to a staggering £29, 927. Items included 308 tops 157 mascaras, 163 lipsticks, 220 candles, 157 pairs of jeans and 214 bras.
The full list of items is:
- 308 items of underwear
- 252 tops
- 252 t shirts
- 245 bunches of fresh flowers
- 220 scented candles
- 214 pots of moisturising cream
- 207 bras
- 195 pairs of shoes
- 182 dress
- 176 dresses
- 126 handbags
- 126 pairs of sunglasses
- 132 skirts
- 138 pairs of leggings
- 182 pairs of trousers
- 157 mascaras
- 100 tubes of fake tan
- 176 pairs of tights
- 163 lipsticks
- 157 pairs of jeans
Voucher Code’s Consumer Editor, Anita Naik, speaking about the survey said:
“Sometimes nothing beats a bit of retail therapy, whether that’s to pass the time or to get a buzz – and (despite popular opinion) both men and women get an equal kick out of picking up something new.
Other standout results of the survey were:
- Women browse online for clothes, gadgets and homeware at least once a day, with the majority of females spending 16 minutes of their working day taking part in online shopping.
- Over fifty percent of women said that they preferred shipping alone, although the survey also found that daughters were the favourite shopping partner, with 13 percent of women saying that they loved to indulge in some retail therapy with their daughter.
- The survey also found that that 20 percent of females were more likely to splash the cash if they have had a bad week, with nearly 50 percent of UK females starting to feel down and even depressed if they have not been on a shopping spree for a while.
- Two thirds of women said that they find shopping and spending money on themselves as therapeutic.
- When the time spent shopping online is added up over a lifetime, the average female will spend over nine months of their life shopping, including online and on the high street. During this time, over £40,000 will be spent on clothes, nearly £30,000 on purchases for the home and just under £20,000 on toiletries.
The survey, by VoucherCodes was done to celebrate the launch of a new section of their website, Fashion by VoucherCodes that aims to help people claw back some of the time and money that they are spending online on clothing and other items of fashion.